I have a passion for helping people. I am understanding, patient, empathetic, friendly and I have good listening skills. After completing my Primary and Secondary Education from CHIJ Katong Primary and CHIJ Katong Convent respectively, I moved on to University at Buffalo, The State University of New York and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) in 2012. I began my Masters in Guidance and Counselling from James Cook University, Singapore in 2014 and I graduated in October 2016. I wanted to specialise with children and adolescents which is why I applied to Lindamood-Bell Learning Process in order to gain experience with working that age group. To further my specialisation, I just completed a MSc at King's College London in December 2019. I am a Registered Counsellor at the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and a Graduate Member of British Psychological Society (BPS).
- Centre for Psychotherapy-23 Jul 2013 to 21 Sep 2015 (Counsellor) I conducted a Youth Enhanced Supervision workshop in collaboration with Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) and Central Narcotics Bureau for drug abusers between the ages of 14 years old to 21 years old. Over the period of 1.5 years, I managed cases of approximately fifty youths. During this workshop, there were ten group sessions, eight individual sessions, two parent sessions and two parent and youth sessions. The worksheets for the program covered theories based on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Solution-Focused Brief Therapy and Person Centered Therapy. During the individual sessions, the youth could talk freely about any problems that they had, apart from drugs. These problems ranged from domestic issues such as neglect from parents, peer pressure, stress and boredom. I also conducted an Inhalant Abuse workshop in collaboration with Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) for youth aged between 13 years old and 20 years old. During a span of 1 year, I managed cases of approximately twenty youth. The Inhalant Abuse workshop followed the same concept as the Youth Enhanced Supervision workshop. Youth in this workshop also had problems which ranged from domestic issues such as neglect from parents, peer pressure, stress and boredom.
- In addition to the above, I conducted Drug Intervention workshops at Changi Prison, Changi Women’s Prison and Tanah Marah Prison. There were approximately fifty groups that I managed in a span of one year and each group had thirteen inmates. The groups consisted of inmates of mixed age groups between 16 years old to 65 years old. The workshop consisted of ten group sessions. The worksheets for the program covered theories based on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Solution-Focused Brief Therapy and Person Centered Therapy. The clients from Drug Abuse and Inhalant Abuse identified the pros and cons of consuming substances, their strengths and weaknesses, goals they hoped they achieve, as well as building a positive social support.
- I managed approximately thirty Custody Dispute Investigation cases where I had to assess each parent individually, assess parent-child interaction individually, as well as conduct a home visit to the house of each parent to assess the interaction of the child with the parent and significant others. I also assessed the living condition of the home. I assessed the child individually as well. I had to write a report based on the former which I sent to Family Court. The children I assessed were between the ages of 2 years old to 15 years old.
- NuLife Care and Counselling Services-4 Apr 2016 to 14 Oct 2016 (Intern Counsellor) In order to meet graduation requirements for my Masters in Guidance and Counselling at James Cook University, I completed my Internship at NuLife Care and Counselling Services on 14 Oct 2016. I managed a case of an 8-year-old boy who had gone through trauma due to physical abuse and emotional abuse which he faced from his father. His mother is a Hindu while his father is an African Muslim. His father had forbidden him and his mother from celebrating any Hindu festivals as he wanted them to focus only on Islam. The boy and his mother fled from Nigeria and returned to Singapore with the help of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. During my ten sessions with the 8-year old boy, I used Gestalt Therapy, Play Therapy and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. I assessed his relationships with his classmates, his hobbies, as well as his relationship with his maternal and paternal family. I also managed a case of an 18-year-boy who had a problem with regards to Alcohol Abuse. He did not abide to the curfew of 1am that his parents gave him and he used to stay out till about 5am. His parents did not know how to manage him. He shared that he consumed alcohol due to peer pressure and he did not know when to stop. During my eight sessions with him, I used Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Solution-Focused Brief Therapy to help him to identify the pros and cons of his alcohol consumption, his strengths and weaknesses, as well as the goals that he hoped to achieve.
- Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes (4 Sep 2017-27 Mar 2019) 35 hours full time in Singapore from 4 Sep 2017 to 31 Aug 2018. I worked as a Consultant through one-to one sessions with students to enhance their sensory cognitive functions in Symbol and Concept Imagery, as well as to monitor their progress and provide feedback to parents. I got a transfer to the London centre in September 2018. I worked as a clinician part-time through one-to one sessions with students to enhance their sensory cognitive functions in Symbol and Concept Imagery while doing my MSc in Child and Adolescent Mental Health at King’s College London (24 Sep 2018 to 2 Sep 2019). My contract ended on 27 Mar 2019 which I did not renew as I went back to Singapore for a holiday and I was due to begin Clinical Placement at Croydon CAMHS on 7 May 2019 until 2 Aug 2019.
- Croydon, England Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services-Clinical Placement (7 May 2019-2 Aug 2019) I was on Clinical Placement from King’s College London and I observed and worked through cases in the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) clinic, as well as two cases of girls with depression.
Video Url: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0hYuw13EtM
- Cognitive Behavioural CBT
- Dialectical Behaviour DBT
- Solution Focused Brief SFBT
Title: Bachelor of Arts (Psychology)
Institute: University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
Start Date: May,2009
End Date: Aug,2012
Title: Master of Guidance and Counselling
Institute: James Cook University
Start Date: Jul,2014
End Date: Oct,2016
Title: Master of Science (Child and Adolescent Mental Health)
Institute: King's College London
Start Date: Sep,2018
End Date: Sep,2019