We live in a complex and stressful world that cause us vulnerable to much distress and discomfort in our daily lives at work and at home. We tend to reach out to our peers or confidants for help but unless we seek guidance from a Professional Therapist, it is unlikely that the outcome would be effective, agreeable and sustainable. I have a Master of Arts with Distinction in Contemporary Therapeutic Counselling. My purpose of counselling is to empower people to better function and flourish holistically on their emotional, mental, physical, social, relational and financial needs. I believe everyone is an ‘expert’ in his or her own experiences and therefore has the ‘unique knowledge’ to resolve their own problems with help and guidance from a Trained Counsellor.
- Marriage & Family Matters: I work extensively with pre-marriage and married couples from a diversity of race, faith, nationality, and ages. I facilitate using a Marriage Preparation & Enhancement Programme originated from the USA but is now localised to enable couples be aware of their current relationship commitment and then I guide them to strengthen and grow their skills in communication, conflict resolution, sex and affection, financial management, parenting etc. through discussions, reflections, role-play, printed materials, skill techniques etc. I counsel couples who are thinking of divorce and through mediation, to bring about an agreement or reconciliation for the couples and their children. I also have experience working with Malay-Muslim couples in such situation.
- Volunteer Services:
I volunteer for a number of organisations and listed below is a brief account of my experiences gained and areas of problems attended:
- Hospice Day Care Centre Befriending, Organising outings, Participating in memorial services etc. These activities led to my involvement in Grief/Loss Therapy, End-Of-Life Essentials, Understanding Dementia and Palliative Care.
- Children’s Telephone Helpline (for ages up to 12-year old) Befriending, Participate in outings and camps and Counselling on problems relating to Bullying, Boy & Girl Relationship, Latch-Key Children Issues and Examination Anxiety.
- Seniors Counselling Centre (for age above 50 years old) Befriending, Counselling seniors & their care-givers on their mental, physiological and health matters including Motivating them to lead a more active life when applicable.
- Work-Related Matters in the Corporate World: I worked in Facilities Management for more than 30 years as an Engineer in both technical and management capacities with a vast experience in the hospitality, commercial and industrial sectors. With these experiences, I am confident to coach and counsel on workplace issues such as Poor Job Fit, Inability to Cope with Work Demands, Interpersonal Conflicts, Communication Problems, Bullying, Harassment, Procrastination, Social Phobia, etc.
- Other Emotional And Behavioural Disorders: Emotional and Behavioural Disorders are conditions exhibiting ‘inappropriate, disruptive and repetitive’ emotional expressions and uncommon behaviours for a long period of time and to a marked degree that adversely affects oneself and others. I counsel clients exhibiting conditions such as anger, depression, anxiety, low self-esteem and personality disorder using the evidence-based Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT).
- Cognitive Behavioural CBT
- Play Therapy
- Solution Focused Brief SFBT
Title: Long Service Award
Date: 01 Dec, 2017
Description: 5 Years of invaluable voluntary service to HCA Hospice Care from National Council of Social Service (NCSS)